Saturday, November 13, 2010

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Busby's Review)



The reason why I got respect for Kanye West is that he has been consistent. Not a lot of artist can have the type of consistency that Kanye has with solo albums. Since College Dropout, Kanye West has proved time and time again that he is not only a rapper but he is a music ARTIST. Kanye takes that "artist" name VERY serious, he takes his time and puts his blood, sweat, and tears into the music he puts out. Being an artist also means trying out new things. Kanye has NOT been afraid to try out new sounds, or new concepts. For example, on Late Registration Ye literally had entire string orchestra over certain tracks, and brought that type of music that was made for Beethoven. On Graduation, he used a Daft Tone sample to show how much stronger he was then anybody. On 808's & Heartbreak he went away from the regular hip hop sound and took the listener through an emotional roller coaster through his pain driving by a cargo of 808 basses and using Auto-tune as his voice. In my honest opinion, I feel Kanye West is a musical genius, not just with rap & hip-hop, but with music PERIOD.

Now the only problem I have with Kanye outside of his music is **in 2Pac voice** his BIIIIIIIG mouth. Ye has made himself notorious for voicing his honest opinion on certain things, even if it comes at the most awkward times. From whining about not winning awards, complaining about album ratings, or assaulting photographers for taking a picture of him. However, I guess the final straw that broke the camel's back with the general public (aka white people) was the whole Taylor Swift VMA thing. After that, Ye kinda disappeared, not in no Charles Hamilton certain way, because he would still be on certain people's tracks. He just kinda vanished from the radar, and the only thing we knew was that he was in Hawaii, and he was in the studio cooking something.

Low and behold a few months later, Kanye came back with vengeance, and showed everybody that you can't tell him nothing and that he had the power. Kanye also did something that hasn't been done before. He called it G.O.O.D Fridays, every Friday (Or Saturday morning), Kanye was going to leak brand new music straight from the studio for the masses to enjoy. What people didn't know was that some of the tracks he released were from his album, Kanye took a risk and knew that he was playing Russian Roulette with the sells.

The original title of the album was going to be called Good Ass Job which was going to continue the theme Kanye started since College Dropout. Ye felt that the music he was creating for this album had a whole new meaning and he felt this was more of art then anything. So with a 90 second portrait video, a 35 minute film, and 5 album covers that would fit well in a art museum, Kanye renamed his album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. In this album Ye paints a picture musically of his musical growth as an artist. I am going to do a track by track break down of each track and I will see if Kanye has expanded his growth..

Busby's Review:

1. Dark Fantasy

The first person you hear on this album is Nicki Minaj talking in a British accent. Yes you read that correctly, sounding like a substitute teacher for Hogwarts or some shit. I thought they were just going to use it for the Runaway movie but I guess Kanye felt it was only right for her to open the album. After she tells the children to zip it and listen, the track begins with a lady asking if we can get higher. The choir opening set the intro perfectly, then the real beat kicks in. Produced by Ye, No I.D., & RZA, the track really sets the mood for the album. Ye's flow and lyrics were on point, and the beat KNOCKS. Only thing that kinda threw me off was the hook, but after a few listens it fits well with it. Good opening..sets the mood
Busby's Review: 5/5

2. Gorgeous (featuring Kid Cudi & Raekwon)

This track is pretty good, beat has that laid back feel to it. Kanye's raps are on point again, and he shows people that he is still an asshole and could give a fuck less about it.

"I need more drinks and less lights
and that American Apparal girl in just tights
she told the director she tryna get in a school
he said “take them glasses off and get in the pool”
it’s been a while since I watched the tube
cause like a crip said: “I got way too many blues for any more bad news”
I was looking at my resume feeling real fresh today
they rewrite history I don’t believe in yesterday
and what’s a black beetle anyway, a f-cking roach
I guess thats why they got me sitting in f-cking coach
but God said I need a different approach
cause people is looking at me like I’m sniffing coke
it aint funny anymore try dipping jokes
tell ‘em hug and kiss my ass, x and o
kiss the ring while they at it, do my thing while I’m got it
play strings for the dramatic
and end all of that wack sh-t
act like I aint had a belt in two classes
I aint got it I’m going after whoever who has it
I’m coming after whoever who has it
you blowing up, that’s good, fantastic
that y’all, its like that ya’ll
I don’t really give a f-ck about it at all
cause the same people that tried to black ball me
forgot about 2 things, my black balls"


Raekwon's verse is pretty decent too, and he fit the track pretty good. Only thing I complain about it is the staticish vocals. Sounds like they are talking on some walkie talkies or something. But whatever, it fit well with the song, decent track

Busby's Review: 4/5

3. Power

Do I REALLY need to rate this track? This track is EPIC in every way possible since the first time I ever heard it. I kinda wish Kanye would have added the MPC chop up he did in the Runaway movie. Other then that, STADIUM STATUS MUSIC!

Busby's Review: 5/5


4. All Of The Lights (Interlude)

I am a sucka for instrumentals can't lie..sets up for the main dish

Busby's Review: 3/5

5. All Of The Lights (feat. Various artist)

Now the official guest appearances on this song are John Legend, The-Dream, Ryan Leslie, Tony Williams, Charlie Wilson, Elly Jackson, Alicia Keys, Fergie, KiD CuDi, Rihanna & Elton John. Yes ALL of them some how some way cramped on one track, I guess this is Kanye's own We Are The World. It seems like Rihanna was more on the hook more then anything. Fergie also has a short verse and it actually is kinda decent light weight. Kanye's verses on the other hand is ehh, he doesn't say nothing worth remembering. Overall, the track is alright, but I can see myself skipping it down the line.

Busby's Review: 3.5/5


6. Monster (feat. Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj & Bon Iver)

The first of 3 G.O.O.D Friday tracks on the album, from what I understand this was suppose to be on the Watch The Throne collab album Ye was going to do with Hov. I STILL don't know WHY Rick Ross is on this track, he serves no purpose and should have just been deleted have the track. Not gonna lie Barbie's verse is the highlight of the track of course and ATE everybody.

"Pull up in a monster automobile, gangsta
wit a bad bitch that came from Sri Lanka
Yeah, I'm in that Tonka, color of Willy Wonka
You could be the king, but watch the queen conquer
Okay first things first, I'll eat your brains
Then I'ma start rockin gold teeth and fangs
'Cause that's what a motherfuckin monster do
Hairdresser from Milan, that's the monster 'do
Monster Giuseppe heel, that's the monster shoe
Young Money is the roster and a monster crew
And I'm all up, all up, all up, in the bank with the funny face
And if I'm fake, I ain't notice 'cause my money ain't!!!
So let me get this straight - Wait, +I’m+ the rookie?
But my features and my shows ten times your pay?
50k for a verse, no album OUT!
Yeah my money’s so tall that my Barbie’s gotta climb it!
Hotter than a Middle Eastern cli-mate, find it
Tony Matterhorn, +Dutty Wine+ it, wine it
Nicki on dem titties when I sign iiiiiiiiit-AH!
How these niggas so one-track mind-ed
But really really I don't give a F-U-C-K
Forget Barbie, fuck Nicki, so she's fake
She’s on a diet, but my POCKETS EATIN CHEESECAKE!
And I’ll say, "Boy, the Chucky is Child’s Play"
Just killed another career, it's a mild day
Besides ‘Ye they can’t stand besides meh
I think me, you and {Amber} should menage Friday
P-P-Pink wig, thick ass, give 'em whiplash
I t-t-think big, get cash, make 'em blink fast
N-N-Now look at what you just saw! This is what you live f-f-for!
(AHHHHHHHHHHHH~!!!!!!) I'M A MOTHERFUCKIN MONSTER!!!!!"


Ye really didn't make no changes to the track..just mastered it..but flows well on the album.

Busby's Review: 4.5/5


7. So Appalled (feat. Swizz Beatz, Jay-Z, Pusha T, Prynce Cy Hi & The RZA)


Another G.O.O.D Friday track that Hov wishes Ye didn't leak, but it was worth it. Kanye knew the people had to hear this music because it is "fucking ridiculous!". Hov's verse is the highlight for me in my opinion, you can kinda hear the frustration in him and no matter how successful he becomes there is always someone to try and break him.


"How should I begin this? I'm just so offended
How am I even mentioned by all these fuckin beginners?
I'm so appalled, I might buy the mall
Just to show niggas how much more I have in store
I'm fresher than you all, so I don't have to pause
Alla y'all can suck my balls thru my draws
Dark Knight feeling: die and be a hero
or live long enough to see yourself become a villain
I went from the favorite to the most-hated
But would you rather be underpaid or over-rated?
Moral victories is for minor league coaches
and 'Ye already told you +We Major+, you cockroaches!
Show me where the boats is, Ferrari Testarossas
amd Hammer went broke so you know I'm more focused
I lost thirty mil, so I spent another thirty
'cause unlike Hammer, thirty million can't hurt me!
Fuckin insane, the fuck am I sayin?
Not only am I fly, I'm fuckin not playin/plane/plain
All these little bitches too big for they britches
Burnin they little bridges, fuckin ridiculous"


Still don't know WHY RZA is on this just screaming "FUCKING RIDICULOUS!" I kinda wanted him to spit a verse. Overall, everybody came hard on this track, its fucking ridiculous!

Busby's Review: 5/5


8. Devil In A New Dress (feat. Rick Ross)

The last of the G.O.O.D Friday tracks on the album, and this one is more re-vamped in the 2nd half of the song. When I heard Ross was going to be on the album version, of course I was skeptical because I liked the G.O.O.D Friday version of it, and wished Kanye would just spit another verse. However, Ross's verse surprised me, it fit WELL with the song and his verse was pretty fucking good. Now don't get it twisted, Ross is still a fake motherfucker, but he some how some way makes good music. The track was produced by Bink, and the sample is very dark and grimeyy. The second half of the song with instrumental guitar solo that splits Kanye and Ross's verses is AMAZING. Highlight of the album no doubt..

Busby's Review: 5/5

9. Runaway (feat. Pusha T)

The second single from the album, and Kanye added ALOT to the song. First off he has a extended intro with the one piano key playing for a good 20 seconds. Second he added the MPC samples that he used during the VMA performance. Also during the chorus he added another layer of vocals to it to have that celebration vibe to it. The song is the asshole anthem of 2010, and after listening to it for the 100th time, it still holds up. The ONLY thing that fucks up this version of the song is the outro. Kanye some how felt he needed to harmonize in a VERY muffled audio-tune for a good 3 min. When I heard it during the Runaway movie, I was cool with it..kind of...I was just hoping he wasn't going to put it on the album. And that is exactly what he did. It kinda kills the song and it makes me wanna skip the track. Honestly he should have just left that outro alone..other then that..good track..

Busby's Review: 4.5/5

10. Hell Of A Life
For some reason I feel this song is about Amber Rose, Kanye is pretty much talking about all the fun antics they had together and how he was really having a hell of a life. The beat is good as always, the track is kinda ehh for me..but I can see it growing on me..

Busby's Review: 3/5

11. Blame Game (feat. John Legend & Chris Rock)

Now this I feel is the second half of his relationship with Amber Rose. Highlight of the album for me. John Legend voice fits well with the beat, and Kanye's raps paints a picture of how frustrated he was becoming in his unstable relationship. The best part of the song is in the 2nd verse Kanye distorts his vocals and spreads it around to give the listener the feeling like ur conscience is talking to you. In the outro Chris Rock comes in as the other guy that that Ye's girl is fucking, Chris Rock is a fool through and brings the track even more life, great track..

Busby's Review: 5/5

12. Lost In The World/13. Who Will Survive In America


The track is BIG in every way possible, with a bunch of african drums, and beat that makes me wanna fist pump my heart out. For some reason I feel this song would have been PERFECT for Michael Jackson. It's the kinda track that Mike would have made and brought a huge smile to my face. Kinda slows that his spirit lives on in music, and it brought that kind of passion in Kanye. This album ended on a bang, and I cannot complain about it. kanye knows how to end an album..

Busby's Review: 5/5


Overall, all I can say is Kanye West did it again, like I stated before he has maintained to keep up with his musical talents and showed the world that he is indeed an artist in every aspect. This is a very good album, even with the G.O.O.D Friday tracks, the album is up there with Late Registration as his best work. Love him or hate him Kanye West is keeping hip hop alive...so let's have a toast...

~~Mr. Busby~~

No comments:

Post a Comment