Friday, May 14, 2010

Who is Drake?..oh u mean Jimmy?..



Honestly I feel like I am in the twilight zone. To this day I CANNOT believe that this dude I use to watch on Noggin on daily basis is becoming when of the biggest artist in such a short period of time. It's crazy when I turn on the TV, or turn on the radio, or go to a magazine stand, Jimmy Brooks's voice and picture is all around me.

I honestly DID NOT think his rap career was going to take him THIS far. I remember when I first heard dude could rap was on this Degrassi special where they went behind the scenes and talked to the cast members. It was there where I learned a little bit about his family tree and how musically driven there are. When he said that he raps I kinda just smh and said whatever. I mean seriously, around that time every person who was on a teen tv show thought they could either sing or rap. So when he said that he was seriously thinking about making a career out of it, I pretty much said "yeah the FUCK right.."

I was NOT going to take a dude that was on the most watched teen show in Canada seriously as a rapper. However when I heard Comeback Season I was generally impressed, boy had skills. But, I still wouldn't take him seriously because like I said, he was FUCKING JIMMY! I didn't know or seem to CARE who this "Drake" character is.

However he finally got enough courage to leave the show, which was the most smartest thing he did, and the rest is pretty much history. To this day I still don't look at the dude how everybody else sees him. When I see his face on MTV or on a magazine, I see the dude who was the ONLY black dude on the show to get shot. I see the dude who became a paraplegic from the waist down and couldn't get it up when he tried to get on with Ashley. I see the dude who had funk with Spinner for getting his black ass on the wheel chair, man I could go on forever.

Now I see this dude doing songs with the biggest names in the music industry. From Weezy, to Kanye, to Hov, to Alica Keys, to Mary J. Blige, to Jamie Foxx, to even motherfucking Eminem of all people. Dude hasn't even dropped his first album yet, and they are treating him like he is the biggest thing since slice bread. Shit dude was nominated for a GRAMMY off a MIXTAPE track. Like I said I feel like I am in the fucking twilight zone. But real talk, Jimmy has proved me wrong, and he has now become the Lebron James of hip hop.

However, when I see Drake, I don't see the rapper, I see the little dweeb that graduated from that high school from our neighbors from the north.






So Jimmy I salute ya..



~~Mr. Busby~~

No comments:

Post a Comment