Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Return Of The King: Michael (Busby's Review)



"Something wrong...MJ gone...OUR NIGGA DEEAD!"

-Kanye West

It's hard to believe that it has been over a year since the passing of Michael Jackson. Even through he is physically not here on Earth, his music is still alive and kicking. Back in early March of this year, Sony renewed MJ's contract with them for a wapping $250 million, the largest music deal EVER from ANY music artist. Sony did not waste NO time in marketing the HELL out of MJ's legacy. Ever since Sony bought the estate merchandise went trough the roof. With DVD's, video games, clothes etc, Sony is pretty much set for life. Sony also had the rights to ALL the music that MJ recorded from 2002-2009. According to Sony themselves, MJ recorded enough new material for 3 albums, and that is not including the demos and unreleased music he was going to use from his previous albums.

Michael is the first posthumous release from the unreleased collection of music. The announcement of the album came with mixed reaction from the fans. Some felt that its great that we are hearing new music from MJ, while others felt that it wasn't right since MJ has NO input on it. Well according to MJ's will, he stated that if he dies, he wants ALL that music to be released, and all the money to go to his kids. So if it was MJ's wish for it to be released, then their shouldn't have been no arguments. Now my opinion was mixed, all i worried about was if Sony was going to throw artists on tracks that Mike NEVER worked with. I swear to God, if Lil' Wayne, or Drake or a Nicki Minaj , or even EMINEM was magically on a Michael Jackson record, I would personally go to Sony headquarters and slap the SHIT out of the executives who came up with that bright idea.

Anyway here is my review of Michael..

1. Hold My Hand (Feat. Akon)

ON ALL of MJ's albums, MJ ALWAYS opened his albums the same way he opens his lives shows, with a BANG. For example on Thriller it was the high drum kick on Wanna be Starting Something, then you heard the big horns in the beginning of Bad, the glass shatters on Jam to begin Dangerous, on HIStory MJ screamed in your ears to let u know he was there, and on Invincible that upbeat bass kicks in that makes u wanna dance. However on this track through..not so much. This track leaked a few years ago, but was never officially released. I honestly didn't care much for the track when I first heard it and my opinion still hasn't changed. The song sounds more like a Akon song then a MJ song to be real honest with you. I don't really think this track should have opened the album, its too slow and blah for me, and to be honest it doesn't really set the mood right for the listener. I mean for the hardcore MJ fans they will love it. I am an MJ fan and I can see myself skipping it..

Busby's Review: 3/5

2. Hollywood Tonight
This track opens up with MJ beat boxing, and has a very upscale beat to it. Produced by New Jack Swing pioneer Teddy Riley, Hollywood Tonight is a story track about a girl who wants to live the Hollywood life and is willing to do WHATEVER it takes to get to that fame, even if it means giving up her own soul. The beat is nice, and MJ's vocals are pretty clear on it. The hook is pretty catchy too, especially with the whistling in the end.

Busby's Review: 4/5

3. Keep Your Head Up

An uplifting track, you know Mike is always good with singing them feel good songs. I am not gonna lie, I kinda got choked up listening to it to be honest, MJ always knows what to say to get you out that bad mood that u are in. However, I have a feeling the song wasn't done let, because I remember hearing the leaked version of the song had ad-libs from Earth Song with Mike screaming "WHAT ABOUT APATHY?!?!" and also they had his "WHOO"'s in there too. On the album version they took out the creaming part and kept the Whoo's..but other then that...it is a good track..

Busby's Review: 5/5

4. (I Like) The Way You Love Me

This track was originally released on The Ultimate Collection box set as a demo. The track got that doo-wop feel to it, and I am not gonna lie it is pretty catchy. However after a few listens, it becomes a tad bit blah for me. However, it is a good track, a nice feel good song.

Busby's Review: 4/5

5. Monster (feat. 50 Cent)

Yes u read that right, the general of G-Unit is on a MJ track. Now I am not mad about it, because MJ was real cool with DJ Whoo Kid, and I remember reading that MJ wanted to work with him so I give that one a pass. The song is just like the title a MONSTER. This track kinda reminds me of 2 Bad, nice dance track. 50's verse was good too, not gonna lie. For some reason I think Hov's verse on Kanye's Monster would have fit PERFECTLY with this song. But whatever, good song, one of highlights of the album.

Busby's Review: 5/5

6. Best Of Joy
A nice mellow out song by Mike, his vocals are on point when he is hitting that high note. You can tell Michael was not afraid to experiment with his voice. The song is pretty short, so most likely it wasn't really done let, but it is good enough.

Busby's Review: 3.5/5

7. Breaking News

The track that got everybody talking and wondering if this was REALLY MJ singing on the track. Now for me, I KNOW Mike's voice, and trust me it IS his voice, so that is where the argument ends with me. Anywhere, the song is alright, Michael talking about the media that crucified him and all that stuff. Teddy Riley was behind the board on this one, and he gets the job done. Honestly THIS track should have opened the album to set the mood right..

Busby's Review: 4/5

8. (I Can't Make It) Another Day (feat. Lenny Kravitz)

Now THIS is the song I was waiting on since it leaked last year. This song is simply AMAZING! You can CLEARLY tell this was Michael motherfucking Jackson. I don't know WHY Lenny kept this gem in his vault for so long! This track got that feeling of Dirty Diana/Give it To Me to it. This sucks MONKEY BALLS that MJ will NEVER preform this :(...AMAZING song

Busby's Review: 5/5

9. Behind The Mask

This song got that late 80's early 90's feel to it. Pretty catchy song to, Mike's vocals were on point as always, and YES there it WAS Mj's voice. The track even highlight sound bites from his concerts to. Overall..good song

Busby's Review: 4/5

10. Much To Soon

Kind of a She's out of My Life/Gone To Soon type of feel to it. Pretty mellow out joint, about Mike trying to capture a girl's heart but getting shut down. The track is alright I guess, but it is kinda blah to me. Honestly Hold My Hand should have ended the album, and have the album on a higher note..but that is just me..

Busby's Opinion:

Now overall, it is a good album, for MJ standards its pretty average, but for the masses it is pretty good. One of my issues with the album was the way it was sequenced, it didn't really flow well, and it just sounded like Sony just picked the best tracks. Now from what i heard, they have 30 tracks, and this is the first 10 they released. Next year they are going to release the next 10 along with unreleased material from his previous albums. Like I stated before, if Sony wants to make a cheap buck and throw on an artist that is popular right now like Weezy, or Drake, Lady Gaga, etc SOMEONE is getting fucked up!

However, with MJ's music still here...the King lives on...

~~Mr. Busby~~

Busby's Review: 3/5




No comments:

Post a Comment