Thursday, November 10, 2011

Take Care (Busby's Review)


One thing I like about Drake is that he is honest, in my opinion he is the most realist rappers out there right now. Now I don't mean real as in, "I'm gonna beat your ass and shoot you if you talk shit about me" real. I mean real as in that he is not afraid to be himself around people. "Real" as in that he is not afraid to express himself and he doesn't care about how the general public will receive it. Rather expressing his poppy dog crushes on Rihanna and Nicki Minaj. Or how much he will go out his way to the perfect gentleman to a woman and how other men should do the same. Drake also expresses his sensitivity in his music, where at certain times he would rather sing his heart out to bring the point across.

Now some of y'all can call call Aubrey Graham "soft" and are real quick to write him off. It wasn't just one year ago, he was hip-hop's golden child and damn near EVERYBODY was on his nuts. When Thank Me Later dropped, even through the album went platinum, a lot of critics gave the album very mixed reviews. A lot of people said that it didn't really live up to So Far Gone, the mixtape that pretty much made him famous. Honestly, I liked the album and it wasn't really bad at all, but that is just me. However, Drake can see where some of the critics were coming from when he looks back on the album.

"Thank Me Later was just song, song, song, song, song, whereas So Far Gone was a consistent thread. It was a story to me. And Thank Me Later, I sort of didn't have enough time mentally to piece together a story. It's very tedious."
-Drake

A year has past since Thank Me Later dropped, and Drizzy has learned from his mistakes. So for his sophomore LP, Drake decided to show his growth and express everything that he has been through in a year. He titled the album Take Care, he called it that because he actually took his time to create the music he wanted to make. He took care of his music and his emotions and actually made a album that he felt that Thank Me Later should have been. Right now I'm gonna give a track by track breakdown of Drizzy's Take Care and I will see if Jimmy grew as an artist...

1. Over My Dead Body (feat. Chantal Kreviazuk)
This song almost feels like the continuation of Fireworks, very slow mellowed out beat produced by Drizzy's right hand man 40. Drake is talking about everything that he has been through in 1 year and how much fame has changed him lightweight. Even sounds like he sends a subliminal shot to Big Sean on a few lines..

Yeah, don't make me take your life apart, boy
You and whoever the fuck gave you your start boy
Or you wanna be a motherfucking funny guy?
Don't make me break your Kevin heart, boy


IDk I could be reaching, but the hook is good...canadian singer Chantal Kreviazuk sings the hook and it sets the mood right for the album. Sorta the same feeling I got when I heard Fireworks. I also like the lil Zion I sample they put in the end of the track, nice little nod. Good opener...

Busby's Review: 4/5

2. A Shot For Me
A nice slow pace song, pretty much a slow pace message to all his exes. Drake really is NOT afraid to air out his personal business especially through his music.

I really wish she had a different way of viewing things
I think the city that we're from just kinda ruined things
It's such a small place: not much to do but talk and listen
The men are jealous and the women all in competition
And now your friends telling you stories that you often misinterpret
And taint all your images of "Mr. Perfect"
I could tell that you been crying all night, drinking all summer
Praying for your happiness, hope that you recover
This is one I know you hated when you heard it
And it's worse because you know that I deserve it


Some pretty deep stuff here, and some real shit for anybody who has ever went through shit like that. The beat is pretty slow pace, again produced my 40, and he does a good job and bringing you into Drake's mind. I also like how in the end the beat kinda slowly starts building into the next track. Very good transition in my opinion. Anyway very good track, pretty deep too..

Busby's Review: 4/5

3. Headlines
The lead single, didn't really listen to the song when it first dropped because I didn't want to get sick of it by the time the album comes out. Now that it's out I can say that the song is decent. Bo1-1da is behind the boards and he does a decent job, its no Over but it gets the job done. And no I don't believe Drake is gonna catch a "body like that" after seeing him wear them Crosby like sweaters in the video. Anyway, the song is cool for what it is, catchy hook but it's cool. Oh yeah, on the album version the song ends pretty abruptly after the 2nd hook. Drake says a nice little poem to lead into the next track...and honestly it sounds pretty fucking corny, he should have just let the beat ride out. I find myself sounding like Riley after he says the poem. Anyway, yeah...it's alright...

Buaby's Review: 3/5

4. Crew Love (feat. The Weeknd)
The over night internet sensation The Weeknd makes his presence known with help from his production team Illangelo & Doc Mckinney. Weeknd's angelic voice along with the booming beat helps Drizzy give out his love to his homies. Good song here, and has a very catchy hook. This pretty much certifies OVOXO is here to stay and they ain't going no where anytime soon. Weeknd kills it with the hook, good song here...

Busby's Review: 4/5

5.Take Care (feat. Rihanna)
Now honestly this song is nothing more then a straight jacking of Jamie XX & Gil Scott-Heroin's I'll Take Care Of U they didn't really change anything. All they did was a little more bass to it, but that is about it. Jimmy & Ri Ri are both singing valuations of the same lyrics along with some singing rap lyrics. I've REALLY tried to get into the track and I really can't get into it. It sounds more like a Rihanna song then a Drake song, if that is saying much. Quite honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they use this as a single down the line. I can already see a bunch of techno remixes for this song..but whatever...this song is kinda ehh

Busby's Review: 2/5

6. Marvin's Room/Buried Alive (Interlude) (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
The thirst anthem of 2011, I didn't really blast the song when it first came out, but when I first heard it I KNEW this song was going to be a hit. Honestly, I thought Drake was pretty stupid for releasing this track for FREE because SOOO many people jumped on the hype band wagon. Remix after remix, after goddamn remix the shit became too much and damn near made me hate the song. However now that I listen to it when it's sequenced on the album, I kinda learned to appreciate the song a little bit more. However, I will be DAMNED if a niggas calls up my girls phone saying that shit, that is a death sentence. The second half of the track features the heir to Dr. Dre's throne Kendrick Lamar. He ripped that shit and stayed on the theme of the album about the gift and curse of fame. Both songs serve their purpose and get the job done...

Busby's Review: 5/5

7. Underground Kings
Banging track right here, almost feels like an ode to UGK and all the other rappers that got big from the underground mixtape circuit.

People always ask how I got my nice things
Take my crown to the grave, I'm an underground king
I bet we can make tonight the greatest story ever told
Cause I'm down to spend whatever, lately i've been on a roll
And I do it for the city, cause you know the city love it
Nigga, do it for the city, cause you know the city love it
Nigga, do it for the city, cause you know the city love it
Nigga, do it for the city, (UGK fuck these other niggas)


Jimmy's bars are good on this not even gonna front, wouldn't be surprised if he used this as a single at some point.

Busby's Review: 4/5

8. We'll Be Fine
Another banger, pretty swagged out track for Drizzy standards. T-Minus laces Drake with another banger, and Drizzy lays a pretty catchy hook to bop your head too. Nice track to listen to when you riding around in your whip. Even Birdman makes a cameo telling Drizzy to keep his head up and take care of business. I can imagine he was saying all this while doing this..
Overall good track...

Busby's Review: 4/5

9. Make Me Proud (feat. Nicki Minaj)
The potential 2nd single and honestly I am REEEEALLY dreading it when radio gets their hands on this song. I mean it's alright for what it is, Drizzy talking to the ladies and telling them how proud he is of how independent they are. Barbie comes in and pretty much just says a senseless verse that has NOTHING to do with the song itself but it was good for what it is. The hook is fucking annoying as FUCK! "I'm so, I'm So, I'm so, I'm So" tired of that shit. The beat is decent but trust me when I say when radio gets their hands on this, I'm might just jump out the window...

Busby's Review: 3.5/5

10. Lord Knows (feat. Rick Ross)
Just Blaze gives Drake the BEST beat of 2011, HANDS DOWN! I'll put this beat up there with Exhibit C as one of Just Blaze's best beats of all time. The beat is SOO banging that it nearly drowned out Drake's vocals when I first heard it, real talk. I had to turn down the vocals just to understand what Drizzy was rapping. After I got wind of Drizzy's vocals, Drake killed it hands down. Almost feels like the sequel to Light Up in my opinion. Even gets at his haters that call him soft, and in my opinion it pretty much sums up my opinion on Drake..

I'm hearing all of the jokes, I know that they tryna push me
I know that showin' emotion don't ever mean I'm a pussy
Know that I don't make music for niggas who don't get pussy
So those are the ones I count on to diss me or overlook me..


Drake ain't afraid of them niggas and in fact will NEVER will. Rozay lays his a 16 on here, but quite honestly its quite forgettable. To be honest Hov should have got on this bitch, it is literally SCREAMING his name. Fuck it add Kanye on it too and it would have been WTT status. However, the track is good for what it is..Just Blaze did it again...real talk...he better release the instrumental, cause that is a beat I can really just listen to all day non-stop. Now we wait for the countless freestyles mixtape rappers are going to do over this beat...

Busby's Review: 5/5

11. Cameras/Good Ones Go (Interlude) (feat. The Weeknd)
40 flipping the Jon B's Calling On You was GENIUS. Very mellowed out and laid back track, and Drake's swag is drenched all on this Camera song. Pretty much talking about model chicks and how its pretty much just an act and its only for the camera lens. Really laid back swagged out track that i can bump on a regular, real talk. The second half of the track is another slowed down meant for the chicks song with him singing. Pretty much telling the girls that he is gonna only be focused on himself, however he still want's the girls to wait for him. I can see myself fucking to both these tracks...real talk....

Busby's Review: 4/5

12. Doing It Wrong (feat. Stevie Wonder on harmonica)
Another slow song where Jimmy is singing to the females. Talking about his relationships or whatever, I can see a chick listening to this song after a bad break up with their boyfriends. Like straight up sitting in a dark room crying their eyes out while eating a tub of ice cream. Stevie Wonder of all people lays his signature harmonica to make the song a lot more darker. Straight emo music right here. You might wanna grab a tissue...

Busby's Review: 4/5

13. The Real Her (feat. Lil' Wayne & Andre 3000)
Let ANOTHER slow track by Drizzy, pretty much giving his ode to females from Houston, Atlanta AND Vegas (HoustaAtlantVegas). The chicks will eat this song up with Drake's R&B vocals of course. Weezy lays sum raps on it, but honestly they are quite forgettable but it is what it is, the beat kinda helps him but its ehh. Drake's dream came true because he got Andre 3000 to spit a few bars on here which was quite a surprise. His verse is decent, I've heard him spit better, he seems little bit too lazy now. Whatever he better hook back up with Big Boi and drop that OutKast album...shit....anyway...decent track

Busby's Review: 3.5/5

14. Look What You've Done
An autobiographical song right here where Drizzy talks about his mom, dad, and his uncle. He gives insight on how he had determination to have a better life for his family. Pretty deep song right here, Chase N. Cashe are behind the boards and sample a session that they had with the late Static Major. Really good track here and Drake does what he does best, keeping it real and honest.

Busby's Review: 5/5

15.HYFR (Hell Ya Fuckin' Right)
Didn't think Drake had it in him to do a fast flow but he does it here, and he does it fucking right. This track sounds like what the collaboration album with Weezy could have been like. Weezy's verses are alright, Weezy is just being regular old Weezy on this one. Punch line after punch line, typical shit from Wayne here but it's cool I guess. T-Minus is behind the boards, and honestly it kind of sounds like a left over from Carter IV. Howver, it's lightweight decent and I can see it being a single down the line.

Busby's Review: 3.5/5

16. Practice
Drake REALLY had the balls to do a slowed down version of Back That Ass Up. Now alot of y'all are hating on it, but to be honest when I first heard it my reaction was..


He made this for the ladies...almost for a stripper, its the perfect song for a lap dance. Or a song to cuff your chick too..straight cuffing music. Drizzy knew what he was doing and I give him props on it.

Busby's Review: 4/5

17. The Ride (feat. The Weeknd)
Good track right here to close the album with...Drake's raps are on point and pretty much brings the album around full circle. Weeknd's vocal's are all over the beat and he it flows perfectly. Drake let's you know that it's gonna take a while for y'all to get rid of him. He lets you know that Aubrey is here to stay, rather you like it or not. Good song to end the album at...

Busby's Review: 5/5

Bonus Track:

18. The Motto (feat. Lil' Wayne)

Nothing more then a mixtape track, nothing special in my opinion, should have just dropped it on a mixtape and call it a day.

Busby's Review: 2/5


Overall Opinion:

The album is solid, Drake knew his lane and he stayed on it. This album almost has the same feeling that So Far Gone brought. It is a step ahead of Thank Me Later, it really did show his growth as an artist. You can actually feel that he actually put his time and effort to make the album that he wanted to make. He also didn't really have a lot of mainstream features on here either unlike Thank Me Later. He kept it simple, and all the features served a purpose and they did it well. Was kinda mad he didn't put Dreams Money Can Buy, Trust Issues, Club Paradise, & Free Spirit on the album. He didn't even put them as bonus tracks but I can kinda understand why, he probably made more songs and knew that he had to cut them down. Also them songs been out for a min and he probably didn't want people to hear old tracks.

The album did have some down falls here and there, but overall Take Care is a solid album and it served it's purpose. You can call Drake soft all you want, but in the end he is just being himself, he is keeping it real. This is hip-hop, isn't that what it's all about?..

Busby's Review: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment