Thursday, December 16, 2010

Unreleased Review: Rick Ross-Telfon Don (Busby's Review)



Now I originally posted this review on the Green Label Project blogging site. I still post there from time to time. But I recently stumbled across this review that I did of the C.O.'s album. Now this is supposedly the "hottest album of the year"..**sigh**...Now I am not gonna say much you just going to have to read the review for itself...My opinion hasn't really changed..but w/e..here is my review in its entirety..

Now let me make this perfectly clear, I DO NOT LIKE Rick Ross. I never really got into his music when he first came out, and overall I think he is overall fake. Everything about him is fake to me, from his music, his flow, and just overall, his style. To me he is the most unrealistic rapper out there in hip-hop right now. Rapping about being the biggest drug lord in America and let the feds still haven't knocked on his door? When he got exposed as being a correctional officer in a prison I wasn't really surprised. In fact I wasn't surprised that he was denying it even through the evidence is clear as die light. However, i was shocked that people STILL listened to him. People were making up the excuse that he is putting out good music as an excuse to ignore his fakeness. To this day I still don't understand that concept, it boggers my mind.

Now I haven't really listened to any of Ricky's albums before this one, but I have heard a few cuts off Deeper Then Rap and I am not gonna lie, the tracks were lightweight decent. But my hatred for his fakeness ruled out the option for me to even listen to the album in its entirety, so I was just like fuck it. I had the same feeling when Teflon Don was about to be released. However, when I got around to listening to the snippets of the album, I was VERY impressed. The beats sounding amazing, and his flow surprisingly was on point. So when the album leaked, I reluctantly downloaded it because I was really curious about how this album was gonna sound. Can this album be actually **GASP** good?

Now here is another thing about my review, I added tracks to my version of the album. The tracks that didn't make the album was BEYOND stupid, if they were added on here it would have helped my final overall opinion on it. Anyway here is my track by track break down of Officer Ricky's Teflon Don..

1. Intro/Mafia Music II (feat. Chrisette Michelle)**Added Busby Track**
This track should have opened the album, had a perfect intro for it and everything. The track begins with static and having a bunch of audio news clips about drugs and a medley of Rick Ross's old tracks. After that you get a monologue from one of those drugs movies. The movie title escapes my mind, but I think its from American Gangster. Anyway, the track which is produced by The Olympicks finally starts, and it has a nice smooth classical feel to it. Chrisette Michelle's is pretty much harmonizing through out the track, and it brings the song more life. Ross pretty much raps his love for the drug life and the money and gives a shout out to the drug lord gangsters through out the years. Ross's flow is pretty decent on this track, and the beat is very dark and grimey. It would have opened the album perfectly and would have set the mood.

Busby's Review: 4/5

2. I'm Not A Star
This is the song that starts the album, and is in fact the ONLY track on this album that does NOT have a feature from another artist. The track is alright, its produced by J.U.S.T.I.C.E League and it is a banger. Beat wise, the track is solid, lyrically its alright at best. Ross is pretty much showing off his skill and introducing everyone to the world of Rick Ross. I guess its a good way to start the album however Mafia Music would have been a perfect way to start the album.
Busby's review: 3/5

3. Free Mason (feat. Jay-Z & John Legend)
Now here is a track to get all you conspiracy bloggers talking. Pretty much in this track Ross & Hov explain to everyone that even through they are rich successful black men, they are not part of no secret society to take over the world. Hov raps "Bitch I said I'm AMAZIN', not that I'm a Mason..", Mr. Carter does his thing on this track and hopefully shuts down all the talk about how he got so successful. Most likely it won't but hey its a start!
Busby's review: 4/5

4. Tears Of Joy (Feat. Cee-Lo)
No I.D. laces this track, honestly I could have seen Nas on this track. Rick Ross's lyrics are decent and its almost a reflection of who he actually is. Keyword ALMOST, Cee-Lo's hook is on point, and it is pretty good laid back track just to chill and listen to. Overall decent track
Busby's Review: 3.5/5

5. Maybach Music (feat. T.I., Jadakiss, & Erykah Badu)
J.U.S.T.I.C.E League does their thing again on this track. This beat is absolutely AMAZING, got that live band feel to it. Erykah Badu's hook fits the beat so perfectly it's nuts, T.I.P and Jada's verses are good, they both rip this track. However, half way through the song the beat switches up and gets that cinematic feel to it so the boss can make his presence known. His verse is alright at best but it was nothing to really gloat about to be honest. However the features and that beat is what made the track stand out, not Rick Ross. If Ross was replaced with Jay-Z, this track would have been EPIC! but it isn't so blah..good track through
Busby's Review: 4.5/5

6. Veterans Day (Lil' Wayne & Birdman) **Added Busby Track**
I have NO idea why this didn't make the final cut, but this would have been perfect for the next track, J.U.S.T.I.C.E League does their thing AGAIN! Lil Tunechi graces the song with his presence, along with his daddy Baby. Ross actually does his thing on this song too and it would have been a great single. Wouldn't be surprised if Weezy shot a video for this track before he started serving his time in Rikers. Decent track not gonna lie. However it didn't make the final cut..smh
Busby's Review: 4/5

7. Live Fast, Die Young (feat. Kanye West)
This has single written ALL over it, Kanye laces the beat and renegades Ross on his own shit. The beat kind of reminds me or an up beat version of Drake's Show Me A Good Time idk why. Ross holds his own on the track not gonne lie, but Ye' got him on this one. And just imagine Kanye is saving all that power for his Good Ass Job. OVerall an above average track..
Busby's Review: 4/5

8. Super High (feat. Ne-Yo)

Well here is the official single, we all heard it. It's a good track not gonna lie, Ne-Yo does his thing, but I wasn't really a big fan of Ross's verse. So pretty much overall at this point, Ross is pretty much a hit or miss. This track is average in my opinion, probably because I am tired of hearing it..idk
Busby's Review: 3/5

9. No 1 (feat. Diddy & Trey Songz)
This track seems like more of a sequel to Hello Good Morning. Even Ricky opens the song the same way he opened Hello Good Morning. It almost sounds like a track that was suppose to be on Last Train To Paris, because of course, Diddy is doing his famous ad-libs. Good club track, if they do a video for this track, I can see Diddy just having more fireworks and just create a monsoon of money raining in New York. Trey Songz was alright. Decent track
Busby's Review: 4/5

10. M.C. Hammer (feat. Gucci Mane)

Now I am NOT gonna lie, this track KNOCKS, and I could just bump this track in my whip and it will blow out the windows. This track is pretty much an ode to M.C. Hammer, and Ross talks about how rich he is of course, his verse is good and it fits the track. Honestly I have NO idea why they added on Gucci on this, he ruined the track. If Gucci wasn't on the track, this would have gotten a perfect rating, but since he is..
Busby's Review: 4.5/5**
**my opinion of this track has changed...and the rating has went down a bit..more like a 3.5...


11. B.M.F. (Blowin' Money Fast) (feat. Styles P.)
This track sounds almost EXACTLY the same as the last one, beat wise, bass wise everything. This is the track that got the hood nuts. Ross gets the second half of the Lox on this track, and IMO the song doesn't really fit Style P, but hey he made it work. This song is pretty damn good, but I enjoy MC Hammer before, its almost an over kill with this one.
Busby's Review: 4/5**
**opinion changed..3/5

12. Aston Martin Music (Extended Version) (feat. Drake & Chrisette Michelle) **Added Busby Track**
When I first heard the original version of this song I found it kind of weird that Jimmy was only singing the hook and didn't spit a verse. After listening to Drake's version of the track, I think his verses would have been perfect for the track. SO that is why I added this version of the song on there, I can see that Jimmy does his thing over the beat. I guess the boss didn't wanna get out shined..ha.
Busby's Review: 4/5

13. All The Money In The World (feat. Raphael Saadiq)
The track that closes the album, ehh it is alright I suppose. Raphael Saadiq does his thing on the hook, and Ross just gives 2 verses that isn't really anything special for me. The beat is average, and overall the song is just ehh, kinda drags on in the end that makes me want to turn it off before it's done. But I can see it growing on me through...
Busby's Review: 3/5



Overall Opinion
: Well, I am not gonna lie, the album is good, I can tell that Ross actually put time and effort on this album. If there is any truth to anything Rick Ross says, it is that he makes good music, THAT I can't knock him for. However, the ONLY thing keeping this album a float are the features, Ross really shows off on this album how many friends he got in the music industry. His ear for beats is amazing, he knows how to pick them, I am not gonna knock him for that. Now if Ross can actually keep it REAL on his records and stop rapping about fantasies about being the real Rick Ross then I might actually listen to him more often. But before that, when I hear Rick Ross, I hear a fake ass rapper that makes a good music. I gotta respect that.....I guess

Busby's Overall Rating: 3.5/5**

**Opinion changed..more like 3/5


~~Mr. Busby~~

No comments:

Post a Comment